Monday, March 16, 2009

Another day on the slopes


The last couple of times we have taken the family skiing the weather has been gorgeous! We end up taking off coats and jackets half way through the day and just enjoying the sun. This last Saturday was another great day. The kids are getting quite good. Abbi and Kaden were adventurous, skiing up the side of the main run to the the fresher, bumpy, steeper snow. Kaden was of course excited to find new hills or little jumps to go off under the ski lift, and Ellie just gets going and flies down the hill. It's all you can do to get her to slow down and stay with the rest of us. She puts her arms strait out to her side and becomes the "Ellie plane". She leans from side to side and practices her turns, but there are times when everyone else on the hill better just watch out because she enjoys the speed!

So I really wish that I was 1/8 the skier my husband was! The sport is just so natural for him, granted he has been doing it his whole life. Skiing is something that I guess I am just going to have to learn to love. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing like mastering the bunny hill (which I have definitely done this year, seeing as how someone has to stay with Ellie, and Abbi would much rather stick to this hill). Honestly though, the only time I ventured to an upper hill this year I realized just how out of shape I am and how I really need more practice! My knees, my back, my legs... let's just blame it on pregnancy for now shall we! The next week my doctor did strongly discourage, let's not even say discourage but basically FORBID me from skiing. I kind of took that as you can't ski because you can't risk falling, so just stick to the bunny hill and you'll be ok! It is however getting tricky being 5 1/2 months pregnant now and zipping up my ski pants, and of course bending over to do up my ski boots is almost quite impossible these days.

Geesh the struggles I go through just to have family time together! What fun times!!!






2 comments:

thebarrusfamily said...

How fun!! I'm so jealous!

Jolie said...

I love it! I love skiing and hopefully in the next few years we'll go more often. I just can't handle all the work it takes to even get there at this point. Good job to you! And STOP skiing crazy woman! You are pregnant whether you look it or not! But oh how fun with the family! Good job Ellie!